June 18-21, 2019
Join us for this special Summer Jazz Intensive. Play with talented and motivated students just like you, and study with world-class artists and educators. Open to all instrumentalists and vocalists in grade 6 through college freshman.
8:30am-4pm at Monterey Peninsula College
980 Fremont Street, Monterey, CA 93940
Monterey Jazz Festival is offering this one-year special Summer Jazz Intensive due to the US Open Golf Championship being held at Pebble Beach. Because of the tournament, we are unable to offer a camp residency option. The Summer Jazz Intensive will be open to day camp students.
For one year only, we offer this intensive jazz opportunity for instumental and vocal students grade 6 through college freshman. This all-age camp is great for beginners to more advanced students.
- Big Bands: Learn phrasing, blend, rhythm section techniques in a large jazz ensemble
- Combos: Develop improvisational skills in a group tailored to your level
- Master classes: Focus on instrument-specific technique, theory and jazz language
- Vocal workshops: Explore ensemble blend, interpretation, scat singing and more
- Camp-wide clinics: Featuring MJF's 2019 Artists-in-Residence, Allison Miller and Derrick Hodge
- Jam sessions: Fun and relaxed playtime with students and faculty
- Performances: Share what you’ve learned with family and friends
Monterey Jazz Festival offers a limited number of MJF Summer Jazz Intensive Scholarships. To be considered for a scholarship, you must complete the scholarship application no later than May 1, 2019. Scholarships will be awarded based on financial need and the student’s response to: “How will attending Monterey Jazz Festival Summer Jazz Intensive benefit me?” Students selected to receive the scholarship will be notified by May 15, 2019. The application form can be found here: https://goo.gl/YIipL2
Summer Jazz Intensive Manuals & Medical Form
Audition Material for Registered Campers
Important Dates for 2019
May 21: Refund request deadline
June 1: Enrollment deadline
June 18: Summer Jazz Intensive begins
Major funding for Summer Jazz Intensive comes from The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Monterey Peninsula Foundation, Nancy Buck Ransom Foundation, Pebble Beach Company Foundation, Rotary Club of Salinas, Sally Hughes Church Foundation, Yellow Brick Road Benefit Shop, and individual donors.